The Huntsville Botanical Garden is a growing non-profit garden located in Alabama. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. To provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions will be based on merit, qualifications and abilities. The Garden does not discriminate in employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Postings as of: 02.10.16
The Garden currently has the following positions available for application:
- Vice President of Advancement
- Facility Rental Sales Coordinator
- Equipment Coordinator
- Maintenance Assistant (Seasonal)
Please see the descriptions below for each opening. All resumes or employment applications submitted must clearly indicate the title of the position for which you are applying.
Vice President of Advancement Dept: Advancement
- Employment Type: Full-time, Exempt
- Benefits: Available
- Start Date: Immediate
- Schedule: Salaried position. Periodic evening and weekend availability required to support Garden events and activities.
- Job Summary: Responsible for the development and execution of a comprehensive, strategic donor development plan that encompasses both operational and capital fund raising, constituent relationship management, and ongoing growth in the depth of support required to support the long-term mission of the Huntsville Botanical Garden. Provide vision, direction and management oversight to Advancement Department staff and volunteer resources in support of the continued growth of Garden membership, volunteer engagement, and multiple donor-development and solicitation programs. Serve on the Garden's senior leadership team, contributing to long-range planning and implementation of strategic initiatives to further Garden development. Working closely with the CEO/President and members of the Board of Directors, responsible for the ongoing development of a broad base of individual donor, corporate, community and public support to provide funding for the Garden's operations and Master plan.
- Duties Include: Evaluate current methods and fund-raising practices, regularly monitoring the effectiveness of various programs and support functions of the Advancement Department; Develop and execute solicitation strategies for various Garden Operating Budget fund-raising programs to meet and exceed revenue budgets; Manage donor development events and relationship building practices that will ensure consistent, ongoing communication with both existing supporters and prospects. Maintain processes to ensure documentation of donor-related activities that will provide status on the donor's support of the Garden to all parties involved in fund-raising efforts; Define and direct strategic goals, budgets and action-oriented objectives for the Membership, Volunteer, and Advancement department functions; Develop and implement strategies for capital fund raising campaigns to support the Garden's Master Plan; Coordinate interaction with the Garden's Foundation Board of Directors to increase Endowment and Planned Giving growth; Direct development of departmental collateral pieces to further develop brand recognition of various Advancement department programs; Ensure administrative processes supporting departmental functions are well-defined, documented, and executed in a timely and accurate manner. Oversee development of departmental reporting and data utilization to provide value-added tools for constituent development; Provide supervision and direction to Advancement staff that ensures proper training, performance feedback and opportunity for growth; Effectively perform management responsibilities including budget development, cost management, strategic planning, and leadership as an active participant in the executive management team.
- Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent related experience, preferably within the field of nonprofit management or related fields such as communications, public relations, marketing or business. Graduate degree or professional fundraising/non-profit management accreditation preferred.
- Experience: A minimum of five years successful non-profit or business management experience in developing and implementing fundraising or sales programs. Prior direct or indirect (Board participation) experience in a non-profit environment managing fundraising programs such as annual giving, capital campaigns, special projects, grants, planned giving, fundraising events or endowments. A proven record of capital fundraising strategic planning and execution producing donations in excess of $100,000. Previous personnel management experience to include direct supervision of departmental staff performing various levels of administrative and management responsibilities.
- Skills: Highly organized; Ability to analyze and plan at both the strategic and tactical levels; Proficient at design and execution of fundraising campaigns, programs and events; Thorough understanding of donor community and resources needed to engage; Superior verbal, written and presentation communication skills; Excellent computer skills utilizing Outlook, Word, Excel and Power Point; Prior hands-on experience utilizing constituent database program with emphasis on development of reporting and analysis tools. Demonstrates the ability, desire, and confidence to interact effectively with varied constituencies, including cold-calling prospects. A self-motivated team player who is capable of providing leadership and direction through initiative and by example. Demonstrated ability to set and achieve established goals.
Facility Rental Sales Coordinator Dept: Facility Rental
- Employment Type: Full-time
- Benefits: Available
- Start Date: Immediate
- Schedule: 36 - 40 hours per week based on seasonal needs; Periodic evening and weekend availability required to support after-hours and weekend appointments; Recurring Saturday office hours anticipated.
- Job Summary: Reporting to the Facility Rental Manager, responsible for generating sales for rental of Garden venues to host a wide variety of both private and corporate events such as weddings, business meetings, parties, luncheons and more. Performs full cycle of sales activities including but not limited to timely response to inquiries, prospect appointments, contract completion, booked client support, communication of event requirements for effective staff execution of the event,and post-event follow-up. Responsible for driving client/guest loyalty by delivering service excellence throughout their experience. Effectively utilizes constituent database and other tools for event scheduling and management. Actively contributes to marketing and prospecting methodologies to insure achievement of rental sales revenue budgets. As a valued member of the Facility Rental team, works closely with other Garden staff and volunteers. Represent the Garden in a professional manner at all times, supporting the overall standards and objectives of our organization.
- Duties Include: Proactive solicitation of rental sales opportunities for indoor and outdoor Garden venues; Provides high level of customer service through full cycle of inquiry, booking, execution and follow-up; Works closely with potential clients to match their needs to the appropriate venue and services; Communicates in a timely, professional manner with prospects and clients to provide support and manage expectations; Responsible for working with all clients to provide professional client services support in the management of events within the facility to include but not limited to point of inquiry, quoting rates, contract development, detailing of needs, audio visual requirements, communication of group requirements to host staff, billing activities and follow-up; Directly responsible for fully documenting the details of the client's event and effectively communicating those requirements to the appropriate staff and service providers; Achieves personal and team related revenue goals while also insuring a standard of excellence in service and execution; Identifies ways to maximize revenue opportunities through package sales and other support services; Assists in maintaining departmental understanding of the current marketplace for rental venues and pricing; Builds and strengthens relationships with existing and new clients to enable future bookings; Develops relationships within the community and associated service providers to strengthen and expand the customer base for rental sales opportunities.
- Experience: Minimum of 2-years in client services sales, with strong preference for event-related sales in the hospitality, catering, attraction, or food & beverage industries. Background must demonstrate success in the full cycle of sales activities, client relationship development, utilization of professional communication tools, and achievement of revenue-generation action plans with measurable results.
- Skills: Demonstrated excellence in sales, customer service, negotiation, time management, problem solving and resourcefulness. Proficient computer skills including but not limited to Microsoft Word,, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook and utilization of a database program. Must be self-motivated and results driven. Detail-oriented with emphasis on highly skilled verbal and written communications, maintaining well-documented, accurate, organized and current records.
- Education: Minimum of high school diploma or equivalent with at least some college or professional training preferred.
Equipment Coordinator Dept: Building & Grounds
- Employment Type: Full-time
- Benefits: Available
- Start Date: Immediate
- Schedule: Generally 7:30 - 3:30 or 9:00 - 5:30; Subject to change based upon operating hours and needs of the organization; Weekend and some evening availability required.
- Duties Include: Perform routine maintenance or needed repairs on Garden tools, equipment, and buildings. Maintain inventory of current equipment, including repair/maintenance records. Coordinate third-party repair services. Maintain upkeep of maintenance shops to insure safe, organized working and storage areas. Works in cooperation with Buildings & Grounds and all other staff members to support the needs of our visitors and volunteers. Other tasks may include, but are not limited to, lawn care such as mowing or application of chemicals; building maintenance projects such as painting, structural repairs, plumbing or other related tasks.
- Experience: 2-4 years of experience with auto mechanics and small engine repair; Additional experience with electrical, plumbing, or other building maintenance tasks highly desired. Must possess a valid (Class C) Alabama's driver's license, and a driving record that meets the requirements of the Garden's insurance provider.
- Skills: Demonstrates good time-management, safety practices, problem solving and dependability.
- Education: High school diploma or GED; or equivalent of 2-4 years of applicable training or experience in a workplace environment.
- Performance Requirements: Demonstrated commitment to adherence to garden standards, policies and procedures; Significant emphasis on reliability, teamwork, communication and responsiveness to Garden guests and volunteers.
- Physical Demands: Must be able to work in an outdoor environment in all weather conditions for extended periods. Must be able to perform physical activities such as, but not limited to, lifting equipment (up to 75 pounds unassisted), bending, standing, climbing or walking. Must be able to safely use manual tools and power equipment, common in the construction trades.
Maintenance Assistant Dept: Building & Grounds
- Employment Type: Temporary/Seasonal (up to 32 hours per week)
- Benefits: Not available
- Start Date: February 15, 2016
- Schedule: Varies - flexibility in shift hours needed; Evening and Weekend availability required.
- Duties Include: Mowing, weed and pest control, irrigation and general facility. Performs event set-up procedures as needed. Performs light maintenance and repair functions. Some understanding of electronics/AV equipment desired
- Experience: Equipment and basic irrigation system maintenance; Turf Care Certificate or equivalent preferred but not required
- Skills: Ability to work outside for extended periods in all types of weather conditions; lift a minimum of 50 - 75 pounds
- Education/Other Requirements: High school diploma or GED; Must possess a valid (Class C) AL Driver's License and a driving record meeting the requirements of the Garden's insurance provider
To Apply please submit your cover letter and resume as follows:
Fax: (256) 830-5314
Mail: Huntsville Botanical Garden,
4747 Bob Wallace Ave.,
Huntsville, AL 35805
OR Complete Employment Application (available at Visitor’s Center desk).
***All applications submitted must indicate the name of position for which you are applying as well as your salary history and requirements. ***