The Huntsville Botanical Garden is a growing non-profit organization located in Alabama. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. To provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions will be based on merit, qualifications and abilities. The Garden does not discriminate in employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Postings as of: 06.21.16
The Garden currently has the following positions available for application:
Please see the descriptions below for each opening. All resumes or employment applications submitted must clearly indicate the title of the position for which you are applying, recent salary history and range of compensation required.
Development Officer Dept: Advancement
- Employment Type: Full Time, Non-exempt (hourly position)
- Benefits: Available
- Start Date: Immediate
- Schedule: Primary schedule of standard business hours with periodic evening and weekend availability required to attend community events and to support events and activities hosted by the Garden.
- Job Summary: Supports the ongoing development and execution of the strategic fundraising plans supporting the mission of the Huntsville Botanical Garden. Implements and manages multiple donor development initiatives including corporate and individual sponsorships, development event planning and execution, and ongoing donor relationship communications and activities. Works closely with the Vice President of Institutional Advancement, the CEO & President, and members of the Garden's Board of Directors. Works with a high degree of independence, keeping management informed of changes in philanthropic climate, including the goals and interests of corporate and individual donors.
- Primary Duties Include: Develop, implement and execute solicitation strategies for Operating budget fundraising programs to include corporate and individual sponsorships and other revenue-generating events; Maintain processes to provide ongoing documentation of donor-related activities that will provide current and historical status of the donor's support to all parties involved in fundraising efforts; Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of current and prospective donors; Actively and effectively perform donor solicitation activities including prospect identification, prospect research, donor calls and timely follow-up and documentation, all in an efficient manner; Document all sponsorship and pledge commitments to ensure a current level of mutual understanding of the responsibilities of both parties; Provide regular reporting on the status of outstanding payments; Design, initiate and manage donor development events and relationship building practices that will ensure consistent, ongoing communication with both existing supporters and prospects; Coordinate with other departments to ensure sponsor commitments are executed properly; Develop and cultivate relationships with community leaders, associated organizations and members (both past and present) of the various Garden Boards of Directors to provide support for the promotion and expansion of the Garden.
- Education/Experience: Bachelor's degree (or equivalent related experience) with 5+ years of fundraising or consultative sales experience. Previous business management experience with an emphasis on sales or fundraising. Prior direct or in-direct (Board participation) experience in a non-profit environment participating in fund raising programs such as annual giving, capital campaigns, special projects, grants, planned giving, fundraising events or endowments is strongly preferred. Strong computer skills with prior experience utilizing Microsoft Office 2012 Suite including Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point. Prior experience with CRM's is highly desirable.
- Skills: Has the ability, desire and confidence to interact effectively with varied constituencies, including cold-calling prospects. A self-motivated team player who is capable of providing leadership and direction with initiative and positive energy. Demonstrated ability in successfully establishing and building relationships resulting in closing sales or gifts. Creative skills and experience in producing innovative written materials to stimulate interest of funding sources who may be indifferent to or unfamiliar with organizational objectives and mission of the HBG. High degree of professionalism required. Dedication, flexibility to work nights and weekend as needed and attention to detail are essential. Ability to lift a minimum of 20 pounds and periodically work in an outdoor environment.
- Performance Requirements: Demonstrated commitment to adherence to garden standards, policies and procedures; Significant emphasis on reliability, teamwork, communication and responsiveness to Garden guests and volunteers.
To Apply please submit your cover letter and resume as follows:
Fax: (256) 830-5314
Mail: Huntsville Botanical Garden,
4747 Bob Wallace Ave.,
Huntsville, AL 35805
OR Complete Employment Application (available at Visitor’s Center desk).
***All applications submitted must indicate the name of position for which you are applying as well as your recent salary history and requirements. ***