The Huntsville Botanical Garden is a growing non-profit garden located in Alabama. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. To provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions will be based on merit, qualifications and abilities. The Garden does not discriminate in employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Postings as of: 08.27.13
***This position has been filed. Thank you.***
Volunteer Coordinator Dept: Development
- Employment Type: Regular, Part-time (Approximately 25 hours per week)
- Benefits: Available on a pro-rated basis
- Start Date: Immediate
- Schedule: Mutual flexibility in schedule - Approximately 25 hours per week based on seasonal needs of the department; occasional evening and weekend to support Garden events
- General Summary: Perform activities to recruit, orient, schedule, and oversee volunteers to support the needs of various Garden departments and events. Responsible for maintaining processes associated with volunteer requests and accurate recording of volunteer information in the constituent database. Coordinate various programs which further engage volunteers in supporting the mission of the Huntsville Botanical Garden. Provide ongoing support for the various events and activities of the Development Department and the Garden organization.
- Duties Include: Maintain volunteer application and review process; Provide ongoing volunteer orientation and education opportunities; Act as the lead voice of the volunteer experience, ensuring effective communication processes and feedback mechanisms are in place to support both staff and volunteer needs; Coordinate cross-departmental volunteer request and placement processes; Ensure timely collection and input of volunteer hours into constituent database; Prepare periodic reporting on volunteer program activity; Coordinate and develop volunteer Docent training; Plan and execute regular volunteer appreciation events and activities; Develop and execute volunteer recognition programs including Volunteer of the Year; Coordinate Garden Gang (school-age) volunteer program; Maintain requests for donations from the Garden for various community events; Maintain currents documentation for volunteer procedures; Participate in community outreach opportunities to promote the Garden and volunteer opportunities; Participate and support the planning and execution of Development Department and other Garden events as required.
- Experience: Minimum of 2 years volunteer coordination, database input, and/or customer service experience required. Previous experience with the use of a database program, particularly within a non-profit environment a plus.
- Skills: Excellent computer and customer service skills. Proven excellence in written and verbal communication skills, including the ability and confidence to speak in front of groups ranging from small to large. Strong attention to detail, organized and analytical. Provide creative leadership in the development of promotional activities. A self-motivated team player with initiative and energy. Ability to lift minimum of 20 pounds and periodically work in an outdoor environment.
- Education: Minimum of Associates Degree and/or at least two years of required experience.
To Apply please submit your cover letter and resume as follows:
Fax: (256) 830-5314
Mail: Huntsville Botanical Garden,
4747 Bob Wallace Ave.,
Huntsville, AL 35805
OR Complete Employment Application (available at Visitor’s Center desk).
***All applications submitted must indicate the name of position for which you are applying as well as your salary history and requirements. ***