Summer annuals are hitting their peak throughout the Garden: Lantana camara
’Bandana® Cherry ‘ & ‘Luscious® Grape’; ornamental potato vines, Ipomoea batatas
‘Margarita’ , ‘Blackie’ and ‘Camouflage’; Gomphrena globosa
‘Audray ‘Rose’, ‘Purple’ and ’White’; Coleus ‘Electric Lime’, ‘Sun Rose’, and ‘Saturn Mix’Demonstration Vegetable Garden
Metal cattle panel trellises are filled with a great selection of beans: Scarlet Emperor Beans, Rattlesnake Pole Beans, Purple Podded Pole Beans, and Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans. It is a great example of space saving with delicious varieties. The tomatoes and okra are enjoying the summer heat and blueberry bushes grow just outside the fence.
- Mullein, Verbascum thapsus - large, erect flower stalk growing 2 to 8’ tall covered with woolly, branched hairs; alternate leaves, smaller than the rosette leaves, attach directly to the stem in a pattern as to direct rain water down the stem to the root system
- Dwarf Pomegranate, Punica granatum ‘Nana’ - showy, dense 3’ shrub with attractive orange-red single flowers maturing to bright orange fruit
- Black-eyed Susan, Rudbeckia hirta – daisy-like flowers (to 3” across) with bright yellow to orange-yellow rays and domed, dark chocolate-brown center disks; blooms throughout the summer atop stiff, leafy, upright stems growing 1-3’ tall
- Limelight Hydrangea, Hydrangea paniculata ’Limelight’ - 6-8’ tall and as wide; produces large, dense, upright, cone-shaped panicles (to 8” across) of mostly sterile flowers that change color on the shrub as they mature, emerging creamy white, maturing to chartreuse-lime and eventually acquiring pink-darkening-to-rose tones before finally fading to beige
- Snowflake Viburnum, Viburnum plicatum f. tomentosum ‘Summer Snowflake’ - upright cultivar maturing to 5-8’ tall (infrequently taller); leaves, flowers and fruits typically smaller than typical f. tomentosum; white lacecap-like flowers in spring continuing sporadically through summer (hence the cultivar name) and sometimes into early fall; fruits, a few flowers and autumn foliage color may be simultaneously present on shrubs in early fall.