Things you could or should be doing in your garden ...
Begin planting for your fall garden:
Beets, August 1
Winter Squash, August 1
Potatoes, August 1-15
Beans, August 5-20
Cabbage, August 10
Lettuce, August 15-September 1
Squash, August 15
Radishes, September 1
- Bermuda Lawns – last application of Nitrogen fertilizer
- Fescue Lawns – first application of Nitrogen fertilizer, 1 lb. per 1000 sq.ft.
- Divide and transplant spring blooming perennials such as peonies, iris and daylilies
- Order bulbs for fall planting
- Cut back leggy annuals; fertilize to stimulate new growth
- Fescue Lawns – second application of Nitrogen fertilizer
- Plant trees and shrubs
- Harvest and freeze or can fall vegetables
- Cut and dry hydrangea flower heads before first frost (average first freeze November 1st).